A record of the meditations, murmurs, and misadventures of Nature Dave in his pursuit of ecological knowledge.
Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, Front Royal, VA.
Madre de Dios, Peru.
LUMCON, Cocodrie, LA
- One of the Gulf’s premiere research stations founded in 1979
- Partnerships with Tulane, LSU, Nicholls U, and other schools
- Elevation in 2016: 3 ft above sea level
- Elevation in 2026: 5 ft below sea level
- one of the three Cayman Islands
- world-renowned for diving
- total permanent residential population: 17
- beach: check. sun: check. perfection: check.
- Northwest Costa Rica
- tropical dry forest and mangrove swamp bordering the Pacific coast
- prominent wildlife: Olive Ridley sea turtle (Lepidochelys olivacea), green iguana (Iguana iguana), jaguar? (Panthera onca)
- *NOTE*: We have no electricity/internet access in Santa Rosa. So no updates until Monteverde this weekend!
Palo Verde, Costa Rica